Application FAQ


Who can apply?

The Every Teacher Certified track accepts applications from all individuals currently working as educators in high-need school environments, such as teachers, aides, support staff, or substitute teachers. These candidates are seeking one or more certifications. Not seeking certification? Apply for our Urban Professionals Program option below. 

Where do I begin my Penn GSE application?

Individuals must apply directly to Penn GSE.  The application for the Every Teacter Certified track can be accessed here by selecting the Urban Teaching Residency Program. Please note a) your desired certification area, b) the ETC Program and c) school site in your statement of purpose.  

What is the application fee?

There is no application fee for students applying to this program. 

What do I need to include in my application?

You will need to include:

  • A statement of purpose. Your statement of purpose should reflect your interest in studying education at the Graduate level and why you believe the ETC track is the right fit for you. Note your desired certification areas here. 
  • Resume/CV
  • Three letters of recommendation

What if I won’t have a final transcript by the application deadline?

If you won’t have your final transcript by the time you apply, submit your current transcript. You will then need to submit your final transcript, generally over by summer, before you can officially register for courses at GSE. 

Are any exams required for the application?

The GRE exams are not required for entry into this program.

What is the application deadline?

This program starts in the fall of each year. We accept applications on a rolling basis, until we are filled.  Applications close for one month between July 1 and August 1. Applications made after this time will be considered for the following academic year. Applications must be complete by July 1 for the following academic year. 

What are the requirements for fall enrollment?

In order to enroll in the first fall term, applicants must:

  • Hold at least a B.A.  from an accredited university or college,
  • Prepare to demonstrate highly qualified status to teach in assigned subject area and grade level by passing any and all required exams (e.g. Praxis, PECT), OR holding a current teaching certification, and
  • Obtain and maintain a qualifying teaching placement for the duration of the program.

URBAN PROFESSIONALS PROGRAM (non-cert M.S.Ed in urban education track) application FAQ

Who can apply?

The M.S.Ed. Urban Professionals Program program is suited for teachers, researchers, educators, and community advocates who are interested in the distinct needs of children and families in high-needs contexts.  These candidates are not seeking certification.

How long does the program take?

To meet the needs of people working full time, the M.S.Ed. Urban Professionals Program is an executive-style format program with a hybrid of online and in-person coursework. This non-certification program supports graduate students in their commitment to urban communities while allowing them to complete a master’s degree in two years.

What is the application deadline?

We accept applications on a rolling basis.  Applications must be complete by July 1 for the following academic year. 

Where do I begin my Penn GSE application?

Visit the How to Apply section to begin applying to the M.S.Ed. Urban Professionals Program.